Trying to stop a balloon release, but don’t know how? Here’s a guide to help!
- Do your homework! Check to see if balloon releases are illegal in the area. Mylar/foil balloons have a “warning” on them saying they should not be released outdoors because of their conductivity.
- Contact the organizer. Private message or email may be better. Offer alternatives. Click here for form letters and ideas.
- Contact the venue/location.
- Contact city officials. City Manager, Mayor, Parks & Recreation/whoever has jurisdiction of the venue/location. If it’s a sky lantern release, also contact the fire department.
- Didn’t work? Let us know! Email us or Report a Release. We encourage locals to make contact first because it can have more of an impact coming from someone in their area.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Always be kind! Each balloon release is different, handle them accordingly.
- Balloons falsely-marketed as “biodegradable latex” are actually more deadly to animals because their burst remains mimic food to animals on land and sea, wild and domestic.
- Educating a friend/acquaintance? Sometimes people respond better if you act like you just found out the information yourself.