Education is the key in the fight for the planet, on this issue and all environmental issues. People need to know that by using science we can make informed, non-biased decisions.
Print out fact sheets and display them at parks or in public areas. You can also pass out or email them to people or businesses that have planned a balloon release, often perform them, or use helium-filled balloons. We also have infopics to print or share!
You can also get a Balloons Blow bumper sticker!
Take action & help spread the word!
Leading by example can inspire others to live more eco-conscious lifestyles as well. It’s important to not only speak up but to also take action – every one can reduce their impact and help save wildlife. We can pick up litter that we see while out enjoying nature, refuse single-use products, educate others, and much more!
Don’t be afraid to speak up and speak out. Write to local stores or restaurants if you see them passing out helium balloons. Is your school releasing balloons? Write to the principal and all participating parties about alternative ideas so the school does not unknowingly add to this problem.
Get involved in local, state, and federal issues! Contact your representatives or other government officials & let them know how you feel about balloon releases.
Here are some tips on writing to officials in government, schools, and others:
- Identify the issue. Make it clear and to the point. Be polite and support your reasoning with facts.
- Express yourself in a professional manner.
- Encourage them to take action to prevent balloon releases from continuing. Balloons should be included in existing litter laws. Not only do they become ugly, dangerous litter but they also waste Helium – a finite resource.
- Encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to call and write as well.
- Write to big and small businesses.
- Attend hearings about environmental issues like litter control, pollution, and wildlife conservation.
- Write to newspapers and your local TV news station to make more people aware of this devastating problem.